Thursday 20 October 2011

So much story, so little time

This is a piece of text I wrote to add to my GPD as the story part of my overview isn't able to cover everything. The story of my game gets pretty complicated so in my overview I could only touch upon a few things. This is just to give a better view of the connection between the two worlds in my game. Terra Forma and Terra Aether. Although, it still doesn't explain much..

The shadows were stirring.

Knowing that time was short, the priest pushed away from his desk as he turned to his bookshelf. He pulled a large and very dusty book from one of the shelves, moved back to his desk, and opened the book to a page he had already memorised long ago. As he turned his back to the book and started to recite what was written, he clutched a small trinket that was tied around his neck and held it very close to his chest.

I’ve seen the hatred, I’ve seen the death. I’ve seen a pitiful world so now I’ve left.
Don’t be scared, it’s just not your time. If you’re pure then your heart will find mine.

The priest removed the trinket from around his neck and carefully placed it on top of the page he had been reading from. He then opened his drawer and removed a small golden-hilted knife he used for opening envelopes.

He stood up and held the small glinting knife to his own throat. The candles flickered as the crimson red blood began to pour from his throat and down his white robes. He dropped to a heap on the floor just as all of the candles in the room went out. In the darkness, another voice picked up where the priest left off.

It’s not just for me. I did this for you. One day, you’ll see my world anew.
For now, I leave this key and say goodbye. Don’t let them taint my land in the sky.

A figure emerged from the shadows and a candle placed on the priest’s desk re-lit. He moved over to the book and picked the priest’s trinket from the page. He dangled it in the candle-light and analysed it for a second. He then placed it around his own neck and disappeared into the shadows once again.

Then there was silence. The only life left in the room was the candle that continued to very slowly burn away.

No comments:

Post a Comment